Thursday, September 19, 2013

Bog Blog

We had a wonderful trip to the Presque Isle bog last Friday morning. We learned about the bog and it's plant life. We learned about specific adaptations plants have evolved enabling them to survive.
Bogs are composed of plant material not able to decompose all the way due to cold climates. Bogs lack nutrients and oxygen and are very acidic.

I thought it was very interesting to learn that two carnivorous plants live in bog territory, Sundew and the Pitcher plant. I was not able to spot any Sundew but did find a pitcher plant. It had flowers on it this year which apparently is a rare sight. Pitcher plants have cup like leaves that catch water. Insects get trapped in the water and are ingested by the plant's enzymes. The insects provide the plant with nitrogen. The arrows in the picture below are pointing to the pitcher plant.
This is a picture of the pitcher plant's flower:

The trees that grow on bogs are usually able to deal with the harsh conditions the bog has to offer. I found it very interesting that a baby maple tree was growing smack dab in the middle of the bog. I looked into the distance and noticed a large tree, unable to tell what it was. I assumed it was the mother maple of the one I was looking at. It's leave were bright red which insisted that the leaves were dying. Is the tree dying because it can't stand the acidic conditions of the bog? How is it living there?


I also have always loved two type of trees that bogs have to offer. Willow trees remind me of when I was a little girl. I use to play under the willow tree because it seemed so big and comforting.

I also love tamaracks because of their unique ability to drop their needles in the fall. Deciduous trees such as maple and oaks drop their leaves but conifers usually don't. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture.

 The beach was at the end of the bog walk. It was a beautiful windy day.


 A crow scavenges for food next to the rip tide danger sign.
 I found a little treasure left behind by a seagull.
 The bog contained many cranberry plants and arrowleaf plants.


 There were two bucks crossing the bog when I took this picture. The deer are very protected in this area. Why do deer seem to be attracted to swamps and bogs? Can they drink the bog's water?

 This section of the bog was filled in by humans. Grasses grew on it. Grasses adaptable to bogs include tansy, thistle, goldenrod, and burdock.
I can't wait to go back to Presque Isle and explore some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment